Saturday, June 14, 2008
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
1. "You shall have no other gods before Me"
2. "You shall not make yourself a carved image...You shall not bow down to them nor serve them."
3. "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain."
4. "Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."
5. "Honor your father and your mother."
6. "You shall not murder."
7. "You shall not comit aduitery."
8. "You shall not steal."
9. "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor."
10. "You shall not covet your neighbor's wife; and you shall not desire your neighbor's house, his field...or anything that is your neighbor's."
"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the LORD is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul. and with all your strength.
"And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. --Deuteronomy 6:5-9 (NKJV)
Jesus answered him, "The first of all the commandments is: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the LORD is one. And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these." --Mark 12: 29-31 (NKJV)
God's laws are not burdensome. They can be reduced to two simple principles: love God and love others. Let them rule your thoughts, decisions, and actions. When you are uncertain about what to do, ask yourself which course of action best demonstrates love for God and love for others.